If you haven’t yet baked with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, you should start now! This Almond Olive Oil Cake is not just any cake, it’s full of flavour and healthy fats. Almonds are rich in vitamin E, magnesium and potassium, and olive oil brings antioxidants to the mix. If almonds don’t float your boat, you can also use walnuts or pistachios, or make a mix and add all of them. An easy solution is also to skip the toasting of the almonds and use almond flour instead. We wanted to add a little more healthy stuff to the cake and used whole wheat flour, but you can put in any type of flour suitable for baking cakes.
WHAT YOU NEED:
50 g brown sugar
50 g caster sugar
150 g whole meal flour
150 g all purpose flour
100 g almond flour/ground almonds
3 tsp baking powder
40 g milk / non dairy alternative
140 g Verde Vivace Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Grease a 24 cm/9″ cake pan. Preheat oven to 170°C/340°F.
2. If you’re using whole almonds, toast them on a pan until they darken slightly in colour and start to smell awesome. When they cool down a bit, give a rough chop on a handful and set them aside, you’ll use them later on top of the cake. Ground the rest of the almonds in a food processor or a blender. The end result can be quite coarse, so no excessive grating in necessary.
2. Mix eggs and sugar until they are nice and creamy, and light in color.
3. Combine whole wheat flour, plain flour, baking powder and ground almonds/almond flour.
4. Mix together oil, honey and milk.
5. Take turns adding the dry ingredients and wet ingredients to the egg/sugar batter. Pour the batter into the pan and decorate the top with the almonds you previously chopped.
6. Bake in oven for roughly 40 min until the cake is golden in colour. Let the cake cool in the pan for awhile (if you can manage!) before digging in. Serve with whipped cream, ice cream or vanilla custard.